Register to receive our quarterly newsletter via email and stay up-to-date on how PADRES is helping families in need

Livestrong™ Poll

Increased Need for Non-Medical Support:
  • Nearly half (49%) of respondents said their non-medical cancer needs were unmet.
  • Among those who felt their non-medical cancer needs were unmet, 70 percent said their oncologists did not offer any support in dealing with the non-medical aspect of cancer. The other 30 percent said their oncologist was willing to talk about these issues, but did not have enough information or experience to really help them out in this area.
  • More than half (53%) of respondents agreed that the practical and emotional consequences of dealing with cancer are often harder than the medical issues.

Lack of Resources for Emotional Support:
  • One-third (33%) said some or very few/none resources were available to meet their emotional needs, followed by 28 percent for practical issues, like finances and work, 23 percent for physical issues and 14 percent for medical issues.
  • Seventy percent of respondents said they had to deal with depression as a result of their cancer, within this group 88 percent said they've had some level of difficulty dealing with the issue.
  • Yet, seventy-eight percent did not seek out the services of a counselor, social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist as a result of having cancer.

Attitude Towards Cancer:
  • Nearly three out of every five (59%) respondents expect to die from something other than cancer.
  • Fifty-seven percent agree that cancer may leave their body, but it will always be a part of their life.
  • Almost half (47%) agreed that in some strange way dealing with their cancer diagnosis forced them to focus and they feel they’re leading a better life now.
  • Fifty-six percent agreed that they now take a more active role in speaking up about cancer and urging people to get screened.

Secondary Health Problems:
  • Dealing with secondary health problems caused or exacerbated by their cancer treatment is an issue for more than half of respondents (53%), within this group 49 percent said they had a very difficult time dealing with the issue.
  • Fifty-four percent of respondents have had to deal with chronic pain.
  • Seventy percent of respondents have dealt with depression.
  • Thirty-three percent have dealt with infertility.

Financial Problems:
  • Forty-three percent, potentially 4.3 million people, said they’ve had to deal with decreased income as a result of the disease.
  • A quarter of respondents (25%) said they went into debt as a result of their cancer and its consequences. Within that 25 percent:
    • Thirty-five percent said they incurred up to $10,000 of debt
    • Twenty-four percent said they incurred from $10,000 - $24,000 of debt
    • Fifteen percent incurred from $25,000 - $49,000 of debt.
  • Twelve percent of respondents said they turned down a treatment option specifically because of financial concerns.

  • Fifty-eight percent of respondents said they’ve had to deal with a loss or decrease in both sexual desire and sexual function. Within this group more than half (54%) said they had a very difficult time dealing with the loss or decrease of both sexual desire and sexual function.
  • Dating problems are an issue for 25 percent of the respondents. Within this group 42 percent said it was really difficult to deal with this problem.

Job Issues:
  • Almost a third (32%) of respondents said they’ve had to deal with lack of advancement, demotion or job loss as a result of their cancer.
  • Thirty-four percent said they felt trapped in their job by the need to preserve insurance coverage.
Daily Living
  • Almost half (47%) made major changes to diet and eating habits and 43 percent said they increased their level of physical activity and exercise.
  • People dealing with cancer are living their life as they would without cancer.

As a Result of Having Cancer:
  • Eighty-eight percent did not start participating in sports
  • Eighty-six percent did not move to a new location
  • Eighty-one percent did not make a career change
  • Seventy-one percent said they did not travel to someplace special/exotic

About Us Programs & Services Our Supporters Cancer Resources Image Gallery Press Room Return to Home Page Make a Donation Volunteer with PADRES Contact Us En Espanol